May 14, 2024 9:40 AM

Author Topic: '62 Monterey Wagon  (Read 78872 times)

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Re: '62 Monterey Wagon
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011 2:31 AM »
Update Time....

The rear tailgate header is now fixed, just some grinding left to do there.  The engine is fully assembled and painted.  The transmission is on order and should be delivered in a couple of weeks.  Jay at Broader Performance is building up a nice AOD to back up the 352.  With the engine sitting in the chassis, it is time to start thinking about exhaust, steering, and brake and fuel lines.  The goal is to have a complete rolling chassis by New Year's. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:14 PM by AdamNDebbie »
Do Bird's Eat Beans to Fly Faster???

Offline racerjohnson

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011 8:18 AM »
So, I just looked at what you started with on page one, namely the fact that there was no floor or anything else left of the bottom half of the car. I'm kinda speechless.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline 31Rodder

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/rodder1931
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011 1:58 PM »
Nice!

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011 3:31 AM »
So, I just looked at what you started with on page one, namely the fact that there was no floor or anything else left of the bottom half of the car. I'm kinda speechless.

Thanks, I guess once I started on it, I figured there was no turning back.  Chalk it up to shear ignorance or being a glutton for punishment.  It has been over 3 years now on this project, and it is a really good feeling to start putting stuff back together.  But it will likely take me a couple more years before this thing is on the road, at least the wife knows where I am at.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011 2:28 AM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012 12:44 AM »
Time for another update.  I didn't quite make my New Year's Goal, but progress is being made.

Accessories:  I fabbed up mounts for both the AC compressor and the alternator.  It worked out well as I was able to put the AC compressor in the same spot as the original generator and mount the alternator directly above it.  The power steering pump is stock.

Exhaust and Steering:  I ordered a set of headers from FPA.  I then went about connecting the steering column to the rack and pinion.  There wasn't much room, but the headers fit well and all I had to do was cheat the rack and pinion over 1.5" and it all came together.  I forgot to take pictures, but once the headers get back from the ceramic coaters, I will snap a few.  Here is a pic of the small area four tubes and a steering linkage had to fit through.

Fuel Tank:  I needed a new fuel tank since the original one was a study in corrosion, and there was no way I was going to be able to save it.  Unfortunately, no body reproduces tanks for the early 60's Galaxies or Monterey Wagons.  If it had been a 2 or 4 door, no problem, but the wagon is different.  So I decided to make my own.  Now, since I was going through the hassle of making my own tank, I figured I might as well make it as large as possible in order to get as much range out of this car as I could.  I hate the small 15 gal. tank in my '51 as I have to fill up every 250 miles.  My goal was 400 miles or about 25 gals.  Anyways, after using my X-mas break to pound out some sheet metal, It went from this...

To this...

I pressure checked the tank, just a couple of pin holes to weld up, and all was fine.  Now I have to seal the inside and paint it.

Transmission:  In my last post I mentioned ordering an AOD from Broader Performance.  It is built, the trans was dynoed on Dec. 22nd and shipped Jan 4th.  I will have it next week, then I will build a trans cross member, check floor clearances, and paint it. 

Once the trans clearance is OKed, then the body will come off the frame (again) for under-coat and the chassis can be completed, exhaust, final paint, air, fuel, and brake lines, etc, all while the engine will return to Hultgren's for it's turn on the dyno.  The next couple of months should be fun.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:17 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012 1:02 AM »
Looks like I have work for the weekend.  Brown Santa just dropped this little gem off.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:17 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012 6:28 PM »
Adam do you still have all of the interior trim etc...?
*Street is Neat*

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012 2:30 AM »
The car was complete when I got it, and all of the interior trim was in pretty good shape.  I have saved all of it.  Head liner, seats, door panels, etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012 2:31 AM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012 2:25 PM »
Wonderful!
*Street is Neat*

Offline Serious

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012 3:51 AM »
Let me know what you think of the FPA headers.

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012 10:08 PM »
Serious -  So far FPA headers are great.  They fit up exactly as I was promised.  They are extremely well constructed, and with the extra thick flanges and mating end, they should last for ever with out leaking.  I ordered mine uncoated and then had our exhaust coating supplier at work ceramic coat them.  The motor gets twisted up on the dyno next week, so we will find out if there are any problems, but I am not expecting anything unusual.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:18 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012 7:33 PM »
Looking sharp!  Will you be going to Prime Steel?  I've got to meet up with you one of these days...
*Street is Neat*

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012 12:05 AM »
As of right now, I will be there.

Looking sharp!  Will you be going to Prime Steel?  I've got to meet up with you one of these days...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012 10:29 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012 3:24 AM »
Ran the motor on Hultgren's Engine dyno today.  No major problems, just a few minor leaks which were easy to take care of. Power was about what I was expecting, 365 ft-lbs of torque and 310 Hp.  Nothing earth shattering, but quite good for only 352 cubic inches and pump gas.  Considering the motor was rated at only 225 Hp from the factory, it is quite an improvement.  The motor sounded great and ran really well. plus the nice flat torque curve will also help to get the big wagon moving.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:19 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012 3:03 AM »
Update Time Again....

Here is proof that I have actually been working on the wagon this summer.  Since the last update, the body came back off, the trans and motor are permanently in.  I have been cutting and welding the 2.5" stainless exhaust together so I can get the nice set of bellflower tips I picked up at BTTF's hung.  Grand Forks Welding made up a very nice driveshaft and that is installed.  There are airbags on all 4 corners and some plumbing has started.  The radiator has been repaired and I fixed the rust on the core support.

Pinstriper has the door panels and he is working to make those look better then original.

Now I have to get the body undercoated, the firewall and core support painted so the body can go back on the chassis so the exhaust can be finished around the fuel tank.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:20 PM by AdamNDebbie »