March 29, 2024 7:49 AM

Author Topic: Using Body Filler, by Reed Overson  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Eyeball

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Using Body Filler, by Reed Overson
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007 1:50 AM »
8) Excellent stuff, as always, from Reed. (that'll give him a bigger head!) For anyone who doesn't know Reed...He is a walking encyclopedia on almost any subject he has an interest in.

Here's something for him to weigh in on..... the system used by most all custom builders on the left coast: after the main mud (filler) work is complete, the complete panel, and eventually the whole car, is skim coated with a thinned down (polyester honey) layer (with less hardener) of filler and blocked out with 80/180. I mean literally the WHOLE car! And blocking with up to 3 foot long boards. That's how they want it done. No matter how well the mud work is and what the primer surfacer will do. After that it's 4 to 5 heavy coats of polyester primer and then lots of blocking with 180 - 240 - and finally 320 or 400. I learned all this on our Overhaulin' experience last August. And that's how they were doing all the car's in Chips own shop. That's how the Riddlers were done.

What do you think Reed? I've always shied away from the skim coat of mud in favor of letting the 2K surfacer do that. And I've always heard of horror stories of the polyester primer on anything but fiberglass in our extreme climate.

A little trivia.....why do they always call the hardened products 2K when components is spelled with a "C"?

Komponents is spelled with a "K" in Europe and that's where most of our technology has come from.

:)