April 18, 2024 1:29 AM

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about these boats  (Read 5112 times)

Offline racerjohnson

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about these boats
« on: April 23, 2011 8:05 AM »
My grandfather just gave me this today. He built it in the 50's and I want to get it into the kind of functioning order it was intended to be in. Been scouring the internet for info on this model but nothing so far.

Were they intended to be R/C? Were they supposed to be outboard powered? Inboard? I see they make vintage electric boat model motors...  http://cgi.ebay.com/1956-Mercury-Mark-55-Thunderbolt-Four-Toy-Outboard-MINT-/330555650711?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8652164390425833572

The dimensions of the motors fit this boat perfectly. The top of the blade would be the bottom of my boat. Weird.

As if I needed another disease.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about these boats
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011 11:55 PM »
Holy shit those outboards are awesome!
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011 1:42 AM »
I know, I'm gonna bid on the dark red Mercury and paint the light blue on the boat to match....can't help it.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011 5:30 PM »
From an expert on the matter:

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the email.
Yes, that's the Scientific Torpedo model boat and it is from the 1950's.  This was a model kit and, from what I can tell, it was sold mostly through hobby stores, toy stores and most frequently through magazines like Popular Mechanics.  They are not terribly rare but hard to find in good shape or in not built up shape.  In Bill Arick's book there is a great two color ad (red and white) that has a price of $2.50!  Pretty neat, eh?  The motor show on it is an Allyn Sea Fury with a small caption that they also sell Atwood gas outboards.
The motors on the boats I've seen pictures of, or through old ads, lends me to believe that most people put the gas outboards on them.  Usually an Allyn Sea Fury, an Atwood, or a Wen-Mac gas motor on it.  These motors were all self contained, meaning that the gas tank was right on the motor, so you didn't have to have anything in the boat hooked up to the motor.  The problem with those motors from your point of view would be that they look like an outboard motor but not like any real motor made by a big manufacturer.  If you ever intended on running the motor, they are very cantankerous!  Hard to start, hard to keep running, tricky needle valve adjustments, lots of special tools, etc.
I would suggest you get a K&O motor for it.  It would still be the correct size and mount right on it.  Since it's a hydroplane my suggestion would be to find a K&O 1955 to 1957 Mercury Mark 55.  The bigger Mark 75 and 78 motors would look cool on it but they are very expensive and might overpower the look of the boat.  If you wanted to run the Mark 55 it would be easy to just install a very cheap battery box from Radio Shack, hook up the wires and go.
To buy one of these motors can be expensive.  Two choices there.  One is Ebay, of course.  The other is to call Bill Arick who would have one for sale.  At least with Bill you'll know that the motor runs correctly and he usually has nice motors to sell.  He doesn't have an email address so you would have to call him at:  316-755-1528.  Ask him about his new Toy Boat book, I think he sells for $49, which has that picture of your boat in it.
Oh, what the heck.  I just scanned the picture from the book.  Here it is attached.  Notice, there are only gas motors in the ad.  I still would use a K&O, though, for realism. 
I hope this helps you.  When you find a motor let me know and send me a picture of it on the boat.  Would love to see it.
Good luck!

Hope all is well,
Bob McDonald
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011 5:36 PM by racerjohnson »