May 19, 2024 1:41 AM

Author Topic: '40 Pickup Wheels  (Read 4984 times)

OlDad

'40 Pickup Wheels
« on: August 19, 2005 6:57 PM »
I have a set of original wheels that came off a 1940 Ford pickup. I'm tired of moving them from one side of the storage shed to the other. $100 or best offer. Call Carter at 701-237-5630 (home) or 701-356-2859 (work) or email me during work hours at Carter.sandvik@swansonshealth.com

Offline Eyeball

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
RE:
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005 7:36 PM »
How wide are they
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

OlDad

'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005 7:47 PM »
I will have to take the tape measure over to the storage shed. They aren't very wide, I'm sure.

OlDad

RE:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005 1:27 PM »
I dug into the storage unit this weekend. The wheels measure 17" by 5".

Offline Serious

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005 4:14 PM »
so im sure they are a 16" WHEEL,  SINCE THEY ARE MEASURED BEAD SURFACE TO BEAD SURFACE, AND THER EIS USUALLY A HALF INCH LIP ON THEM.

oops caps, im to lazy to go back in change it right now.

:twisted:

OlDad

'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005 4:21 PM »
I had just assumed that they were 16 inch wheels. There were some wheel covers laying across part of the wheel in the storage unit and my son reached over and laid the tape measure across. He said they looked like 17 inch, but I'm sure it probably wasn't the most accurate measurement. I know the 5 inch width is right.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005 4:32 PM »
If they are 5" wide Ford wheels they not 17 inch. 17 would be 4" wide.  At 5 inch they could even be 15. They are the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern, right??
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

OlDad

'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005 4:58 PM »
How do you measure the bolt pattern? I've seen some articles in magazines over the years, but never paid any attention to them. I'll just have to go to the storage site tonight and dig out the wheels and bring them home.

Offline Wowcars

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005 5:27 PM »
Here ya go.

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005 3:04 AM »
Did you measure the width on the inside of the rim where the tire bead seats? I would be interested if they are 4" but I have plenty of 5"ers. And I am almost positive they are 16", also measured from where the bead would seat.
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

OlDad

'40 Pickup Wheels
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005 7:10 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Our company is testing a new Internet filtering program and it filtered out access to the Suede's site. I went back to the storage unit last night. Here's the deal. I bought a '40 Ford pickup a few years ago. It had white spoke "wagon wheels" on it and the four, what I figure are original, rims were sitting in the bed. I kept the rims when I sold the truck. I put them away and never looked at them again until we moved this spring. Here is what the tape measure says: Laying the tape across the face of the wheel to get the diameter, it reads 17 1/2 inches from the outside edge of the bead to the other side. Sideways, laying the tape across the wheel from the outside of the bead to the outside of the bead it reads 5 1/4 inches. The bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2. I found dates on three of the four wheels, the fourth one may have the date stamped under some dirt. The three I could read were apparently manufactured in '40, '41 and '42 if, in fact, I am actually reading manufacturing dates. That's what I know. The rims are rusty and would need a clean-up. If anyone is still interested in the rims, call me at work 701-356-2859 or at home in the evenings 701-237-5630 or email me at work Carter.sandvik@swansonshealth.com. I am not sure if I will continue to be able to get to the Suede's site when the filter goes on full time. I don't have a computer at home so I have to go to one of my kids' homes to use theirs.