April 19, 2024 9:55 PM

Author Topic: BARN FIND!!!!  (Read 67516 times)

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
BARN FIND!!!!
« on: July 18, 2008 4:00 AM »
:D

Well not really a barn.  It was driven into the corner of a heated shop in 1966, Veblen, SD.  Put into a storage unit in Wahpeton last Nov. and the pics are in my driveway this afternoon. No, it's not the '40 Ford Coupe I've always thought someone would call me to come and get, but man, am I excited!  I found out about it Monday night and today it's mine.

1935 Ford Tudor Slantback Sedan.  Radio, South Window heater, extra guages, vacumm dash fan (never seen one before), and pretty complete. Rear view mirror with hole where the clock (I think) used to be. And check out the shift knob.  The brakes (mechanical) still work even. Pretty straight, a couple small rust spots in rear fenders, one soft spot under drivers feet, roof leaked so headliner is shot, two roof bows are down from something stored on it, and the rest is what you see.

Plans are to get it running hopefully.  It turns over with the crank.  Depending on if/how it runs will determine where I go with it.  I would love it if it ran pretty good, drop the front about 8 inches, some cheap wheels and tires (I better talk nicer to the "wheel/tire whore".), hopefully pressure wash the light grey repaint off (its dark grey underneath), a cheap interior (I know a guy), maybe some hydraulic brakes, and have some fun just putsing around with it. I'll probably be asking many questions.  It's been a long time since I had any thing to do with a "Flatty".  And then I was real young and just drove them.  One I swore a lot at because it didn't run too well.

Here's some pics.......

Offline Eyeball

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
RE: BARN FIND!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008 4:05 AM »
Wow congrats on tht find!

If you end up with a mustang front and a 9" rear I'll haul the old running gear away for ya. :)
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
BARN FIND!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008 4:05 AM »
more...

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
BARN FIND!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008 4:10 AM »
next

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
BARN FIND!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008 4:15 AM »
Sorry Tim...I'm getting old and traditional....If all goes well with it running...I'll be wanting to figure out (with some cheap stuff) how to drop the front and all the other stuff.  Got any ideas......?   :)

Offline 31Rodder

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/rodder1931
BARN FIND!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008 4:22 AM »
wow thats nice!!  Looks like you wont have to be hunting down many parts it looks complete.

Offline Serious

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
BARN FIND!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008 4:35 AM »
Nice find, i love 35's...

Dropped CE axle, Reversed eye springs...

Offline tracywiedrich

• Oh, I get it...
    • View Profile
Sweet
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008 5:59 AM »
HoHOHOHoHoHOoooooo in my best Tim Allen voice. That is truly a nice score...There is a guy up around here that inherited a 35 from his ex-father in-law. It was painted orange back in the sixties and had a merc flatty. He called me for advice on it and I went and looked at it and told him I'd leave it as is , as it was complete and the Merc motor was loose. Next time I visited him with a spare tire mount for the rear, the body was off the frame, the flatty was gone and the complete X-member was torched out and he was trying to mount a fuel-injected newer engine in it. TOTALLY RUINED IT! I just shook my head and thought why even bother wit some people.....

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
SHE RUNS!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008 5:06 AM »
And I gotta say pretty darned nice.  Bought one battery cable, a barb connector and 5 feet of hose (to hook up my gas can to the fuel pump), borrowed a 6 volt battery, cleaned the plugs and tried it.  One fire and then nothing.  Checked the spark and it was pretty weak and kind of sporadic.  So off came the generator and fan.  Took the coil off and it looked like the rotars were a little corroded.  So turned it over with the crank and filed the rotar contacts and the four wire contacts on top.  Put the coil back on and she fired right up.

Just the sound of a flathead cranking over is exciting.  Couldn't let it run too long because didn't put the generator/fan back on yet, but shut it off and started up again about five times and revved it up a few times and it was pretty smooth.

So now I'll drain the gas tank and put some fresh in it.  The fuel pump leaks, so I suppose it needs a rebuild. And I need a used little air filter and plain oil fill cap.  It has some sort of aftermarket PCV set up on it that gets in the way of the throttle (cruise control).

Hopefully in a couple days I can drive it to the end of the driveway and back!

Offline sko_ford

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
RE: SHE RUNS!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008 10:24 AM »
killer
WANTED: Mel Tillis valve covers

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008 1:27 PM »
That is cool....glad it runs!
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008 1:32 PM »
Good for you Jake!! Sounds like your going in the right direction with it!!
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008 4:50 PM »
Jake, thats awesome!! An car guys dream if ever there was one. Just think. . . a complete car that only needs a couple things to run and drive instead of starting with a body and frame. What a concept!! Hope everything continues to go smoothly for you!!
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008 5:23 PM »
Way sweet!!! nothin' like a flatty powered old ford...
*Street is Neat*

Offline Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008 8:04 PM »
Well........... did ya get it running good enough to make Watertown??  Only 30 days away!!
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.