General > Project Reports

'62 Monterey Wagon

(1/28) > >>

AdamNDebbie:
I have finally decided to do a build post, so here goes.

I pulled this old heap home in July 2008.  It was found in a tree row near Twin Valley.  The car was parked in 1976, and yes I got the "It ran real good when it was parked"  line.  Needless to say though, after sitting for 32 years, it no longer ran (that and the 1976 gas that was still in the tank had the consistency of burnt molasses). But for a couple hundred bucks and a tank of gas in the truck, I figured the drivetrain (FE, Cruis-O-Matic, Big 9 inch) was worth it if nothing else.

AdamNDebbie:
I started taking it a part and tagging and bagging everything.  I knew it would have to be stripped down to the bare frame and completely rebuilt. 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ym3cTm]

[/url]

AdamNDebbie:
I then sand blasted the frame and suspension components, and fixed the areas where the frame rails had rusted out. I also ground down and rewelded the factory seam welds along the entire length of the frame since it was obvious some were cracking and separating. 

The car is going to be bagged on all 4 corners, so I wanted a Triangulated 4-link for the rear.  There are kits out there, but I don't have that kind of income, so I designed and fabbed up my own.  By using the original forward spring mounts, I was able to keep it fairly simple.

AdamNDebbie:
I also decided to put a power rack and pinion unit in the front.  Again, there are very expensive kits out there, but I figured I could design and build something that would work.

Next it was time to prime and paint the frame

And the Suspension pieces.

AdamNDebbie:
By this point I was ready to tear down the motor and get it in to the machine shop.  Dennis Roy in Grand Forks is doing the machine work, and hopes to have it done this spring.  It will be a good strong street motor, nothing too fancy though.  352 Ford FE bored .030 over, 650 CFM Holley, lots of head work, 9.5:1 pistons, and Dennis's own cam (he-he). I neglected to take pics of the tear down, but I did score some rechromed Mercury valve covers.

I will post more pics when the motor is done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version