April 18, 2024 6:58 PM

Author Topic: 1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis  (Read 9163 times)

DeuceKustoms

1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis
« on: December 04, 2008 11:59 PM »
Does anybody own a 47-54 chevy truck and have the dimensions of the original frame, or anyone have any prints for the the original frame dimensions? i have been scouring the interweb for weeks and have come up so far mostly empty handed...  

i am going to start building my chassis for my PU soon, and am just looking for a place to start as far as dimensions (because i dont have the original frame).  i have a few basic dimensions so far, enough to at least figure out how much material i will need.

also, looking for any tips on what are good components to use from other vehicles that will fit well, as far as rearends, etc...  any tips are appreciated!!!  

thanks!   deuce

Offline Eyeball

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
RE: 1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008 1:14 AM »
Can't help ya but I hear that an S10 frame is a fairly easy swap for them.
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

DeuceKustoms

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008 4:46 AM »
yes i have checked into all the swaps, but i want to build my own... if i am going to do this truck it's going to be all MINE! ha!

thanks for the tip tho! i started a thread on the HAMB and have gotten a couple hints but not much so far.

Offline AntiBling

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
    • http://antibling.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008 10:11 AM »
Try asking on the stovebolt, if anyone would have it they would.  I looked at my shop manual and it doesn't have it.

And let me know what you find, I'm using a S-10 clip for the front but everything from the firewall back I'm building.

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008 6:59 AM »
Please at least buy a front clip for your truck, Deuce.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

DeuceKustoms

Re: RE: 1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008 7:43 AM »
Quote from: "racerjohnson"
Please at least buy a front clip for your truck, Deuce.

why is that? and what do you have in mind?

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
RE: Re: RE: 1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008 3:00 AM »
Because its the most complicated part of the chassis. Designing chassis is fun and challenging, but it doesn't led itself well to acutally completing a project.  People who swap chassis (or front clips) aren't unintelligent or lazy, but they are more successful at completing a finished project than people who build stuff from scratch. The people who sell abortions on ebay don't count. I'm talking safe, functional, good looking vehicles. If you're dead set on building a chassis, I'd suggest buying lots of books and reading up on chassis design. If you want to tinker, then design and build away, but if you want to ever drive your truck. . .

I have in mind whatever you've found that definately works. Sounds like you've been researching a bit.  S-10 chassis are basically free. Everything that could work with relative ease has probably been done before and copying others isn't a bad thing. I should've just kept my mouth shut, but I know you'll figure it out. I don't like seeing people make what looks like uninformed decisions fueled by pride so I couldn't help but warn ya, but I look forward to seeing your progress.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline eugenevik

• Oh, I get it...
    • View Profile
body book
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008 12:53 PM »
most body shops have a book with frame dimensions  there is a different one for each year,  maybee Whapeton science has some dimensions avail. online??
of course anyone that had something that old would be dead!!!
disabled Nam veteran,  overeducated and underworked   NDSCS, MSU,  BSU ,  Alexandria tec. ,   ASE  Tripple Master tec.

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008 1:59 PM »
I'm not dead yet!!  I'll look at the stack, but I think we only go back to the late 60's/early 70's and none of it from back then is online that I know of.

DeuceKustoms

Re: RE: Re: RE: 1954 Chevy Pickup Chassis
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008 11:09 PM »
Quote from: "racerjohnson"
Because its the most complicated part of the chassis. Designing chassis is fun and challenging, but it doesn't led itself well to acutally completing a project.  People who swap chassis (or front clips) aren't unintelligent or lazy, but they are more successful at completing a finished project than people who build stuff from scratch. The people who sell abortions on ebay don't count. I'm talking safe, functional, good looking vehicles. If you're dead set on building a chassis, I'd suggest buying lots of books and reading up on chassis design. If you want to tinker, then design and build away, but if you want to ever drive your truck. . .

RacerJ - thank you for your concern... and i am not being sarcastic! the thing is, is that this project is not on a deadline, and as much as i want it done yesterday, i neither have the time nor the money right now, so about the only thing i can afford, is research and planning.

as for dimensions, i should be set for the most part, i was able to get some info from the HAMB and a couple more websites that i ended up finding.  so no one has to climb into the attic or anything to find an old book!

right now, my first concern is getting a title and getting the truck registered/ insured. this is covered, skip @ french lake has one for me, just gotta go get it.  

right now i am continuing planning, weighing out all of my options, figuring out how much shit is gonna cost any way i do it, and figure out whats going to be the best.  i have been stuck on going straight axle for quite a while, but might just get me an s10 clip afterall, it is still not out of the picture, but right now its the bottom of my list, but in a month it might be at the top, who knows!

i appreciate all of your input, thats why i even brought this up on here in the first place, so if anyone else has any ideas, please share, and i hope to get rolling on this soon... and once i get a little progress i will definitely share!  

sorry this is long  :? oh well.