March 29, 2024 12:06 PM

Author Topic: New from Portland!  (Read 9611 times)

Offline Fordman1

• Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
New from Portland!
« on: January 21, 2013 7:55 PM »
Actually I am from Fargo where I grew up, HS in Sioux Falls, college back at NDSU and then off to Oregon where I work as an Architect (still working on my license though!).

Learned about all I know from my grandpa on his farm out by Valley City.  We built him a T bucket first and then one more traditional for me that wasn't done until after I moved out west.  About three years ago I couldn't wait any longer and flew home to drive the car out.  Since then it has been amazing actually being able to work on it and some other cars in my free time.

Glad this site was brought to my attention and happy to be here to learn and maybe share what I am doing!  Plus whenever I make it back to God's Country it will help me connect with other car people!

Brian aka Fordman1

Offline Eyeball

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Re: New from Portland!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013 8:14 PM »
Welcome to the board Brian. Post some pics when you have time.
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline sundance

• Suedes Member
  • Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013 8:17 PM »
welcome to the site---how was this site brought to your attention?
"btt50's is hundreds of teenagers trapped in adult bodies"--Sage Magee

Offline Wowcars

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013 8:56 PM »
Indeed, welcome aboard and I'm also interested in how we were brought to your attention.

Offline Fordman1

• Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013 12:00 AM »
I think I posted too many pictures and crashed my last post!  So I will try to recreate and break them up.

I reached out to Sko_Ford on the HAMB as I had seen the Suedes CC pop up quite a bit over there.  I am at max capacity for car projects right now and my family wants to clean up the farm stead in ND to sell.  So I need to either tow four-five cars to Oregon or sell them or crush them as the family wants to do.  They are recently posted in the classified ads as I am hoping someone needs a project!

Turns out I just missed the start of all of this when I left in '02.  My current stable is my hotrod my grandpa and I built: 1925 Model T, 1950 Ford Tudor, 1978 F150 that came from a MN farm and my "new" daily driver 1988 Mustang.  The '50 is up for sale to buy a house and the T is getting 16s and bias plys this summer.  Plus I am on the look out for a 26-27 Coupe body to get rid of the fiberglass.

Offline tokyo

• Suedes Member
  • Oh, I get it...
  • dongs!
    • View Profile
    • My50merc
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013 4:06 AM »
welcome - what firm do you work with?  are you an NDSU arch alum?  if so, we should talk

tok
I once had a really big deck.

Offline Wowcars

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013 2:04 PM »
I'm digging that shoebox!

Offline Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013 3:05 PM »
  Plus I am on the look out for a 26-27 Coupe body to get rid of the fiberglass.

I have a friend here in Bismarck, ND who has a Coupe body for sale. The body has been chopped and metal preped, it is ready for body work which would not be much. There is a deck lid and four doors which would need to be worked on. There is also about $800.00 worth of new parts that go with it. He wants  $3000.00 If you’re interested I can get some pics.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013 3:08 PM by Tom »
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline Fordman1

• Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013 4:11 PM »
3k is a little rich for my blood right now, but I will keep it in mind!

Yes on NDSU Alumni (96-02) and I work for a small firm actually across the river in Vancouver, WA (the Moorhead if Portland were Fargo  :)) called Western Design Group.

Thanks on the cars, I had big plans for the Shoebox but since I have the T I can justify selling the '50 so my wife and I have a house to start our family in!

Here are some early pics of the T with the Black paint being the first iteration complete, grey being when I drove it out and now it is in primer.

Offline sixinarow

• Suedes Member
  • Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013 4:33 PM »
Welcome to the board, nice looking shoebox!
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem."

"Such a fine line between clever and stupid."

Offline Lucky

• Cap Shot?
  • Suedes Member
  • Oh, I get it...
  • Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013 8:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Brian some cool rides for sure.
"HOW OLD IS THIS PUG?"

Offline Fordman1

• Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013 4:35 PM »
So my plans for the T are to keep moving towards a more traditional car.  Though the ultimate goal would be a Kookie car/Lightning Bug/Ivo T that would mean scrapping everything but the body so instead I will pull the fiberglass body and save that for another rendition.  I will go to Coker bias plys (4.75-5.00 fronts and 7.00-7.50 x 16 rears).  I want to push the vega box further forward in the chassis to get the drag link parallel and also box the front frame rails (maybe all the way).  Potentially a dropped axle as well depending on how it sits, though the current '48 I beam has wide spring perches which would cause more changes.  I have an Isky cam that will go into the '52 flatty with some new gaskets as she is starting to leak in a few places.  The '46-'48 3 on the tree is fine and frees up a lot of floor space, plus the taller rear tires should help with the gearing, if not a T5 may be in the future.  The wheelbase is a little long as the enclosed driveline was shortened as far as possibly with keeping the stock mounting point for the rear radius rods.  I am hoping a Coupe body will work better than the current RPU set up with the long wheelbase.  Depending on the subsequent body I may redo the rear kick up and crossmember (flattened '48 ford) as well as the Farm Engineered X member.  The 12 gallon swather gas tank may be swapped for something bigger depending on room.  I think that wraps up future plans for the T.

Offline sko_ford

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013 4:37 AM »
Hey man im glad you made it over here
WANTED: Mel Tillis valve covers

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013 5:29 PM »
Welcome aboard!  You know how to introduce yourself!  I'm diggin' that shoebox too- Who says you can't put money into a shoebox and someday buy a house? Good to have you here!
*Street is Neat*

Offline Fordman1

• Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013 4:46 PM »
If I can swing both I will, but it is looking like the extra cash will be needed!  Always time for another one down the road.