April 25, 2024 10:17 PM

Author Topic: Another Shoebox  (Read 33811 times)

Offline Tom

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009 6:08 PM »
Thanks for that link to the `49 build, I had missed that. Have you been up this way to pick up the Y block??
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009 3:51 AM »
Not yet, gotta get a hold of Reed when he has time. Feel bad, thing has been setting in his shop for about a year now. Gonna have to do it soon to make sure my steering box (Volvo) isn't in the way. I'm sure he's been on the ChooChoo lately. Anyone seen him around?
...And if you call in the next 20 minutes, cause we can't do this all day...

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009 1:30 PM »
Quote from: "flatheaded"
. Anyone seen him around?

I hadn’t see him for a couple of month, than last Friday night I ran into him a Birthday party at his neighbors house.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010 8:34 PM »
Any updates Josh?
*Street is Neat*

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010 6:00 PM »
Well things have been pretty slow cause of work but I am managing to get some of the patch panels in.  Cut out the lower rear quarters and got the new ones tacked in. Also started to replace the floors and trunk area.  That's been a little tricky trying to get around all the suspension and stuff.  Also got a Mustang 20 gal. gas tank that will have to be fitted into the trunk. Was messing around with the doors last week and determined that they were in pretty rough shape so I stole some off one of my donors instead of trying to patch and straighten the old ones. Front fenders will receive the same lower patches and am trying to decide if I want to french in '52 Ford headlight rings like Joel did or go another route.  Last year on the HAMB i remember seeing a '50 sedan that had '55-'56 Oldsmobile headlight sheetmetal grafted on the fenders. I really liked the look, still had that little peak that the '52 Ford had but used a chrome ring. I have '55 and a '56 Olds out in the trees that I am thinking about cutting them out of and trying just to see what it looks like in person.  Am getting antsy to start the chop since I saw Joel's but have a ton of other shit to finish before I even thing about that.  Still need to get the Y-Block from Reed too.  Oh Uncle Reed, where are you!!!???

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010 7:57 PM »
Josh, I would like to put a mustang tank in my 40 merc but can't get a real good measurement online. Sometime can you tell me what size hole I would need in the trunk floor for it. I need to see if it will fit between the rear cross member and the rear spring cross member. Thanks!
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010 5:15 PM »
The tank I got is for a '64-'68 Mustang, 16 gal. Not 20 gal. like I thought. Anyway the hole you would need for the tank to fit in would measure about 30 1/2" x 22 1/2". It has a 1" flange around all sides and is about 7" deep. Mine came off Ebay for about $110 plus shipping and included the sending unit, filler tube and hose. The outfit selling them was Kentucky Mustang.

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010 5:33 PM »
Ok thanks. I used one in my 48 chev but there was alot more room since it didn't have the transverse rear spring.
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010 7:01 PM »
Falcon sedans used the same type and size tanks also if you're searching for a used one.  Comets should be the same also.

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010 8:29 PM »
New ones are so cheap that I don't think it pays to find a used one.
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010 7:22 PM »
Any updates??

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010 6:16 PM »
Well, our summer was super busy doing everyone elses stuff so we can't say we got too much done on it. Did start to put in the usual patch panels. Quarters, rockers, and floors. Worked on the bumper a little. Shortening a '54 Dodge Coronet front and rear bumper. Dont ask why, just like the look. They are basically smooth like the stock ones but have bumper gaurds that kinda look like mini caddy dagmars. Anyway our plans are to run the exhaust through the rear ones since our plans are to have the car so low. Also picked up the Y-block from Reed this summer and am trying to get that and the Volvo steering box to work together. Not much room for the box, linkage, and exhaust. May also look at adding a Chev. Cavalier rack and pinion instead of the Volvo box but the work is a little more to get the pack and pinion to work. Found some pretty good pics on the HAMB and might do it just so I have the pieces for future use/projects. I'll get some pics up in the very near future. We ended up buying 14 more cars this summer and some have been put on the project list so that is another reason for the slow progress on the 'box. Wife picked up a '52 Dodge Coronet Wagon and a '47 Dodge coupe and I finally found two '54 Chevy 2 dr. sedans worthy of combining to make one good one.  So we have been doing alot of planning and dreaming on what we can do with the new additions to the project list. The wife is pretty stoked about the '47 Dodge she found. We passed up on the chance to buy the car about 7 years ago, actually we didn't have a pot to piss in so we couldn't afford it.  But it came up for sale again and we snagged it this time.  Of course, it's in a little bit worse shape cause it was stored outside but everything is there and saveable. Joel, sorry I didn't reply to your PM. Haven't been on here much lately. We'll get some new pictures up very soon.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010 5:12 AM »
Looking forward to pics- sounds like there's been progress!
*Street is Neat*

Offline Fordman1

• Suedes RuLe!
    • View Profile
Re: Another Shoebox
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013 11:44 PM »
I am partial to Shoeboxes, any updates?