April 29, 2024 8:01 AM

Author Topic: Another Shoebox  (Read 33830 times)

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009 6:05 PM »
We ended up making three sets of bars untill we had it right. Being we are dropping 4" there were some things to consider which we didn't the first two times. One way to learn, I quess. Ended up mounting the front of the bottom bar right behind the seat riser support on the frame. Reinforced it with 2 pieces of plate welded to the frame and them ran a bushing through it and welded it to the plate. Extended it with another brace and gusset and the whole bracket was nice and strong. Top links were done the same way. Mounting points are on top of the frame so the rear floor will have to be raised about 2". Not too big of a deal, the rear seat will cover it. Was debating running them along the inside of the frame but didn't have alot of room.
...And if you call in the next 20 minutes, cause we can't do this all day...

Offline AntiBling

• Suedes Member
  • Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
    • http://antibling.deviantart.com
Another Shoebox
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009 7:07 PM »
Looks good man, can't wait to see it finished.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009 7:30 PM »
Well, this is how the frame sits when all the way down. It's about 1" off the ground which puts the body about 1/2" off the ground. Pretty close I know but to me when the sedans are chopped it is the only way they look right when they are parked.  I don't know why but the long roofline does something. After bags are at ride height I gain about 4" so there is plenty of clearance, I think.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009 7:53 PM »
Here is a shot of the rear and the amount that had to be removed. Had to take out quite a bit of material but most of the trunk was rusted out anyway. I threw on a front fender last night just to get an idea. I'll post more when I get some of the trunk and patch panels on.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009 9:20 PM »
Quote from: "flatheaded"
Quote from: "Tom"
Great project post Josh!!!  When you say we, I bet your mean Robin. :wink:

Yup! My partner in chrime.

You probable heard this before, does she have an older sister?!! ( just kidding). :wink:
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline Serious

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009 1:17 PM »
looks Great.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009 10:52 PM »
It's definitely low now... what's next?
*Street is Neat*

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009 5:08 AM »
Quote from: "pinstriper40"
It's definitely low now... what's next?

Been working on the trunk floor, narrowing the front and rear bumpers ('53 Dodge) and finally found a Volvo steering box so I'm working on a mount for it. Pics to follow.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009 11:04 PM »
What are you doing for a master cylinder? Do you want to run yours on the firewall or on the floor? Jamco's got a frame-mount setup for a late 60's mustang dual-reservoir, but it's spendy- I think I'd at least try and make all the brakets and stuff first.  Intersted in what your plan is...
*Street is Neat*

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009 4:25 AM »
Been thinking the same thing. I pulled some pics off the HAMB on one a guy did with a Mustang cylinder. Looks pretty straight forward as far as the brackets go. I was thinking on going this way too.  Also saw something one time on a Jeep master for a firewall mount but I'm not too crazy about that. They seem to be big $$$. I'll see if I can find the underfloor pics on my computer at work and post them to get an idea. Finally got my Volvo steering box @ $175, just need a double joint from Borgeson @ $150.  Gotta save some bucks so I can finish it and get back on the body.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009 7:48 PM »
I think I'm just going to enlist help to help me figure out the mustang m.c. .  I don't want to pay Jamco for their dumb kit and it's pretty straightforward.  Post up those pics when you get a chance- Hopefully they're different than the ones I have.  I didn't find much on the HAMB.
*Street is Neat*

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009 8:46 PM »
To whom it may concern:

This is a bracket for a 49-51 Merc. I don't remember how the shoe box one is set up but this may give you some idea of what to fab if it is similar. This one is one that Tokyo on the HAMB has for his Merc. I had him post some pics of it and then copied it for my 51.
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009 10:21 PM »
Quote from: "Eyeball"
To whom it may concern:

This is a bracket for a 49-51 Merc. I don't remember how the shoe box one is set up but this may give you some idea of what to fab if it is similar. This one is one that Tokyo on the HAMB has for his Merc. I had him post some pics of it and then copied it for my 51.

Those look familiar to the ones I came across, I think. It wasn't much of a bracket if I remember correctly. I do remember it had a really long pushrod though. I'll get pics of what I have up in the next few days once I get back in my office.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009 11:26 PM »
here's the jamco setup.
*Street is Neat*

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009 6:38 PM »
Well I finally found the pics of the setup  I found on the HAMB. I was mistaken, this kit is from ECI Hot Rod Brakes and uses a '67-'72 Mustang or '67--76 Corvette dual manual master cylinder.  Their kit is $219 and the master cylinder is another $75 which, to me, is high enough for just a few brackets.  It uses the stock brake pedal and moves the master cylinder back behind the crossmember.  Looks simular to Jamco's kit.  This the way I think I am going to go. Master cylinders from Speedway are about $35 and about $50 anywhere on E Gay. The brackets don't seem hard at all to make and the pushrod can be made out of just about anything. A few bucks for the rod end and away we go. I'm gonna start mine during Thanksgiving and I'll post pics as I get them. Here is the link to the thread on the HAMB:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397986
  The only thing I am going to try and change is move the cylinder down a little so I don't have to cut a hole in the floor to check/fill fluid. Later!