March 29, 2024 8:58 AM

Author Topic: '62 Monterey Wagon  (Read 78096 times)

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
RE:
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010 1:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I just have a hard time swallowing the $900+ that Air Ride wants for the Shockwaves, even though they are supoosed to be top of the line.  I had to cut down the money tree a couple of years ago so I could build my house/shop, and those damn things don't grow back very fast.
Do Bird's Eat Beans to Fly Faster???

Offline AntiBling

• Suedes Member
  • Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
    • http://antibling.deviantart.com
RE:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010 4:18 AM »
Want more advice? Dont use shockwaves. They don't provide much lift.

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010 2:56 AM »
Well it has been six months since my last post, so I thought I should at least show a little progress.  I still don't have the engine home from the machine shop, but that is fine.  Denny has most of the machining done, and is starting the short block assembly.  The heads are done, assembled and look great. I will post pics when I get it home. 

Because of the lack of motor, I have been doing rust repair.  I am basically complete with the passenger side sheet metal, and am ready to start on the drivers side.  I basically rebuilt the bottom 8 inches of the car from the firewall back.

And New Brakes for the Chassis

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 7:56 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Update
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011 3:16 AM »
Wow.  Seem to be on this six months since my last update kick.  I have been spending way too much time on the road for work, and not nearly enough in the shop.  Either way, here is some proof that something is happening.

The sheet metal work on the floors, rockers, and rear quarters is now complete enough that I could drop the body back on the frame and make sure that there are no interferences with the rear suspension.

It is also time for me to set up steering and drop the motor and trans in to make sure there are no clearance issues there.  Hopefully that can be completed in the next couple of weeks before I head back down to So-Cal for work. 

It sits right were I want it to with no air in the bags.  The roof is just below chest high.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:12 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Ryan

Re: '62 Monterey Wagon
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011 4:21 PM »
It's looking badass...

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011 7:47 AM »
It's looking badass...

I second that.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011 3:56 PM »
Just what we need around here... another bitchin' wagon.  There's only one way to go with wagons and you are nailin' it!
*Street is Neat*

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011 10:07 PM »
Engine Update:

Well after taking a month away from the Merc to do a valve job on the Windsor in '51 F-1.  I decided I should get back at it.

As some of you guys may know, I have had a bit of trouble with the engine.  Denny Roy in Grand Forks was doing the machine work and short block assembly.  Unfortunately he suffered what I understand to be a fairly severe stroke around New Years.   Because of this, his shop and business was thrown into legal limbo.  It took me the next 4 months to finally get the pieces of my motor back.  Most of the machine work was done, the heads were assembled, and all the parts were there except rod bearings and oil pump.  Unfortunately, cylinder #5 still needed to be sleeved, and cam bearings had to be installed.  So, 2 weeks ago the block got dropped off in Hallock at Hultgren's Engine and Machine.  Stephan and Gary are now taking very good care of it, and I will have it back next week. Either way, time to do some head porting and polishing...

1.75 in. exhaust and 2.19 in. intake valves should have the old 352 breathing a bit better.

The FE will start getting assembled next week.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:03 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011 3:15 AM »
Let the Engine Assembly Begin...

Elgin 966 Cam and 9.5:1 flat tops.  Ready to go in.

More to come....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:05 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline sixinarow

• Suedes Member
  • Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011 5:08 PM »
Exciting! Looking good.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem."

"Such a fine line between clever and stupid."

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011 2:36 PM »
The short block is mostly assembled.  Unfortunately the Camshaft thrust plate is on back order and won't get here for a few weeks.  Not a big deal since I am off to So-Cal for a 2.5 week work-ation.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:06 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011 2:00 AM »
Well back from sunny So-Cal.  (FYI, the Imperial Desert gets fricking hot this time of year).  So back to motor assembly. 

Just about time to start masking and painting this old girl.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:07 PM by AdamNDebbie »

Offline Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011 1:05 PM »
Nothing like a fresh motor to get you pumped up!!! Can't tell from the pics, but if your running a flat tappet cam you know about using the right break-in oil??
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011 5:40 PM »
Nothing like a fresh motor to get you pumped up!!! Can't tell from the pics, but if your running a flat tappet cam you know about using the right break-in oil??

Yea, it is a flat tappet and I know all about the "right" oil, no worries there.  It is going to get "broke in" on Gary Hultgren's dyno anyways.  Hopefully we will have it on the pump some time after BTTF's.  I will post results.

Offline AdamNDebbie

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011 1:03 AM »
Merc Wagon Update:

Well the summer is half over and I have not been nearly as productive as I had hoped.  The engine assembly hit a bit of a snag.  On doing the initial turn over (by hand - thankfully), it became readily apparent that those big exhaust valves I was so proud of are hitting the cylinder wall.  Not a big deal, but the block and heads are back up at Hultgren's waiting there turn on the milling machine.  It is not a huge interference ( < 0.020"), but the block will get relieved, similar to big block Chebbies. 

However, with no engine around, it was back to body work.  The headers above the windshield and tailgate were both rusted out really bad due to mice nests.  I ordered some replacement roof sections from Arizona and started chopping.
First, we need to add some extra support.

Next came the grinder.  Look Mom - No Roof.

This is the good end, the tailgate header is even worse.

All is well that ends well.

And this is part of the reason for not getting much of anything done this year.  But, I can now say I have ridden snowmobile on snow in July.  Some times my job isn't all that bad.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017 8:10 PM by AdamNDebbie »