April 19, 2024 8:56 PM

Author Topic: Racer J's 28 roadster  (Read 80327 times)

Offline sko_ford

• Suedes Member
  • Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007 12:36 PM »
hey mrdr3esq i dont think it looks as broken as you were worried about.  nice stance woth a good rake it looks like sheell fly
WANTED: Mel Tillis valve covers

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007 6:28 AM »
front shocks are 37 chev rear shocks with links. I cut the model A shock nubs off, removed the ball socket and welded them to my axle. Now if anybody know's where to find a 37 chev shock rebuild kit or someone who can rebuild them I'd be tickled.

Oh, I build a radiator mount too and bolted the grille shell on finally. The poor grill shell has fallen off the car flat on its face at least a dozen times, but no more.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007 2:08 PM »
I think the shocks you have a Ford. If not they look the same. We used the same ones for the front of CJ's T.

Will it be ready for this weekend?
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007 5:30 PM »
it could be ready. . . if . . . we had a thrash party! any takers? how much beer and pizza will i need to buy?
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007 6:27 PM »
I'd be up for it sat. night after the drags....lots fo pizza....I'm going to be really hungry!
*Street is Neat*

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007 2:48 PM »
ya, and bring your time machine so we can have it done for this weekend silly.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2007 6:33 PM »
so let's work on it tomorrow (thurs) night from 4 until whenever...I don't think I work friday at all....
*Street is Neat*

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2007 3:26 AM »
I had an entire weekend to myself last weekend, so I got something accomplished. I made a cardboard template for the floorboard in front, started mounting my rollbars, fabricated some headlight mounts that I believe were originally part of a model A headlight bar, and fabbed some sort of grille. The wire mesh is held to the grille shell with some clothes hangers bent a certain way. It may work. I also ran the transmission cooler line and front brake lines. The throttle butterflies FINALLY (after 2 weeks) broke loose, so I can dive into those carbs and get the olds fired asap. The good Lord knows I needed a weekend like this. . . . hope it makes the pileup.

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2007 4:43 AM »
wow....it is really starting to take shape.....nice thrash
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2007 7:49 AM »
do any state troopers out there know if I need a windshield to be street legal, or can I just wear goggles like a motorcycle operator? thanx

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2007 12:16 AM »
I hope you all don't get sick of looking at the same pictures over and over. And for all of you requesting smaller sized pics, here ya go!! I forget that everybody doesn't have whatever type of connection that I have.

I raised the body up a bit on the chassis. I think it's going to stay here.

Pinstriper cut the windshield posts off (for some reason i wasn't ready to do it, so I'm glad he did), then I trimmed and narrowed that dash lookin' piece down and welded it flush. We may use that '38 ford windshield to do something funky, but in the mean time, this looks a bit lakes roasterish. I was lookin on www.ahrf.com and loved the rear wheelwell covers i saw on someones A roadster. Smoothed it out a bit. We'll see about that. Since my steering arm is in the way, might as well build some lake pipes. Might as well make a belly pan at that point. We'll just start with getting it running and driving, how bout that?

Next task is to finish the subframe so I can have the body Acually bolted to the frame. What a concept. A brake pedal might be handy too. Any constructive critisism (someone wants me to raise the motor) would be appreciated.

Offline sko_ford

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2007 2:07 AM »
question: does your pitman arm have room to move?
WANTED: Mel Tillis valve covers

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2007 2:44 AM »
answer: yes, barely. That'd one reason why the front of the body got lifted an inch. Should work in full bump fully turned. I got the whole "pitman arm down there" idea from that cherry red hemi powered roadster that was in one of the more recent Rodders Journal's. Love the functional look.
I'm entertaining ideas of trying to move the steering box about a foot and a half forward. There was a reason i didn't go that route, but i forgot. The starter being on the left side is one of them. . . narrowing the frame rails didn't help either.

Offline sixinarow

• Suedes Member
  • Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2007 6:07 AM »
I just noticed that youre atTrandem's place. Are you sharin a garage with Chuck?
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem."

"Such a fine line between clever and stupid."

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Racer J's 28 roadster
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2007 11:45 PM »
no, i have the little shop next to where chuck used to have his stuff. One guy rented out the whole end of the building and Pinstriper lives in the little shop. He lets me keep my crap there. Chuck is trying to find a place for 'da lincoln and his ford motors (which are sitting outside right now) so if someone wants a ford 400 or 460 w/ tranny, shout a holla dog.