April 19, 2024 4:57 AM

Author Topic: Iraq  (Read 30742 times)

Offline Tom

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009 1:59 PM »
Hey Pete, A little O/T for this thread. I'm always way behind in my mags reading. So I'm reading Rod & Custom Febuary 2009, their at Bonneville 2008 (page 46 lower right hand coner) and there you and I are standing behind an A pickup. Were so dam small you had to know what you were wearing to figer it out. I think it was taken at HOP-UP's hopdog banquet. I always were my HOP-UP T that day.
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009 4:44 PM »
nice!! That was probably one of the coolest "sit around and look at cars" car shows ever.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009 4:45 PM »
nice!! I need to find that one.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009 6:52 PM »
I've got it Pete.

PM me your address and I'll send you a care package.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009 7:18 PM »
Your a good man Jake!!

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009 5:09 PM »
Quote from: "JakesBackyard"
I've got it Pete.

PM me your address and I'll send you a care package.

Sweet! Thanks Jake!

SGT Johnson Peter
A Co. STB, 34th ID
APO, AE 09374

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009 8:00 PM »
The Apache simulator was awesome. One of my pilot friends chuckled a little when I walked into his tent the night before and asked, "so, how do I fly a helicopter?" So he gave me some pointers.

I can't take pictures of it, but its about what you'd expect. A big screen 180 degrees around the front of you, graphics straight out of Flight Sim 2000, and a real apache cockpit. Guess what, I'm too tall to be comfortable. Surprised? When I pushed the brakes in, my shins hit the dash, but who cares, I was was "flying" a helicopter right? It was real enough that when I banked from one side to the other a little too fast I got wooosey, and I thought, "Whoa dude, chill out. Its just a simulator." Once in the air, I picked up the flying part pretty quickly. Landing took a couple tries, and taking off took a little while. The instructor said the apache is the hardest bird to hover because its designed to be maneuverable, so that made me feel better. I just didn't hover, I took off and immediately flew forward. And apparently, I did quite well mostly because I listened to the instructor. I put the eyepiece on and flew in the dark. The gun points wherever the person is looking. Kinda neat. So, theoretically, if someone started the engines for me, I could fly an Apache helicopter. I plan on going back once a month or so.

So remember when I was telling everybody that I wasn't too worried about the heat here because its always dry? Well, it got humid this week as the wind shifted from the dry NW wind to a SE wind off the Persian Gulf. Complete bullshit. 120 and humid. WTF. Indescribable. Ok, I'm done now. But seriously. . .

So here are some pictures of what I do. Kinda blah, I know, but I'll get more. Ahmed is the crane operator. He operates this beat up 1975 Kato 30Ton crane his dad owns. His dad is an operator I work with as well. I can't remember the other dude's name, but he's always wearing that red thing on his face and looks menacing. I can almost kick his ass at empty-water-bottle-soccer. If anything I can just body-slam him. . . :)

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009 12:15 PM »
Autumn, its the new summer.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009 6:22 PM »
Any updates?  We really missed you at the pileup.
*Street is Neat*

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
helicopter trip
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009 6:59 PM »
Took a ride around my base doing a little aerial recon for my force protection position. Gave me a chance to see the big picture and look for any holes in our defense. Actually saw what the countryside looks like around me. Its one big sea bed. There are actually shells in the sand. About a mile from us is a river and then a lot of shallow water marshland with trees. Kinda wish there was more green on my base. It's all brown.

Hadn't flown in a Blackhawk for a few years so that was fun. The helicopters are lined up side by side and all have their own little "garages" that are basically 3 sided enclosures for blast mitigation. The idea is to only have 1 damaged helicopter instead of 2 or 3 if a rocket/mortar hits the base.

So these pilots take off about 10 feet in the air, back the helicopter out of the "garage" and turn in the air, then hover out to the runway where they land for a second, then take off like an airplane but only use about 20 feet of runway. F'n awesome to watch. Made me giggle. Its just like backing your car out of the garage. These are close quarters and no room for error, so its neat. It was windy too. I had a seat right behind the copilot so i could watch the pilots gauges and I actually knew what a few of them meant from my simulator time.

Its not letting me post pics. I'll try later.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
RE: helicopter trip
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009 7:07 PM »
That sounds like a fun ride.  I don't picture a helicopter backing out of a hangar...  that's insane!  Can't wait to see pics!
*Street is Neat*

Offline Tom

• View Profile
RE: helicopter trip
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009 7:25 PM »
Hey Pete did you ever get the Rod and Custom from Jake with the two of us in a small pic??

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Re: RE: helicopter trip
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009 7:38 PM »
Quote from: "Tom"
Hey Pete did you ever get the Rod and Custom from Jake with the two of us in a small pic??

Yes! I even got a couple rodders journals. What a guy!

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Re: RE: helicopter trip
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009 7:48 PM »
Quote from: "racerjohnson"
Quote from: "Tom"

Yes! I even got a couple rodders journals. What a guy!

Boy..... I guess!!! R&C and The Rodders Journal are the two I won't part with!!! I'll have to dig through my mags see if I can up with a care package for you. Is your address still the same as above???

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
RE: Re: RE: helicopter trip
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009 8:07 PM »
yup!