March 29, 2024 5:54 AM

Author Topic: Another Shoebox  (Read 33634 times)

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« on: September 30, 2009 6:20 PM »
Well, hope nobody objects to me putting my project on here. It's nothing special. Just an everyday '50 2 dr. sedan we drug home last year. Has the typical rust in the floors, rockers and fenders. Bought all the patch panels from Mac's and have a couple running Flatheads but wanted to go a different route with the motor/trans. Ended up buying a 292 Y-block from Overspray. I'm leaning towards a AOD trans but not sure yet. I know many argue the fact that air bags aren't traditional but I wanted the car to have the lower stance when parked but still be able to drive it long distances and be comfortable so we put air bags on all 4 corners along with disc brakes front and rear. We found a 9" rear out of a '57 station wagon. Fit perfect! Stock 16" steel wheels with WWW were next. We finished up the suspension last weekend with just final welding to do. Next on the list is getting the trunk put back in and working on the rusted body panels and floors. Future plans include a 5" chop, frenched headlights and taillights (maybe '54 Merc, not sure), louvred hood, shaved handles and trim (might use'53 Buick side trim) and '56 Dodge front and rear bumpers. Like I said, nothing fancy since it's all been done before but we are pretty excited about it since it is our first custom. Pics aren't real good to start since the body is already on the routissery but you get the idea:
...And if you call in the next 20 minutes, cause we can't do this all day...

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009 6:28 PM »
Trying to get all our pics together of the suspension and air bag setup we did. Most of the brake swap was taken off the HAMB. Only parts purchased were calipers, bearings/seals, brake rotors, and air bags.  All the brackets and radius rods/bushings were made. I'll list the part #'s in case someone else wants to do the same thing.  I was pretty happy on the way it turned out.

Offline Tom

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009 8:08 PM »
Your going to have to have shop tour, the place looks great!! Sounds like you got the coustom thing figured out!!!
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009 8:47 PM »
Took the bottom spring plates off the lower arms and welded a flat plate on it to mount the bag to. Used the same material to make a mount for the top of the bag and secured it through the shock mount hole. Because we wanted to drop the car 1" off the ground we had to cut some clearance into the spring tower. Not much meat was left so we reinforced it with a plate and welded it in.  We're also using Jamco drop spindles and steering arms for a little extra drop.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009 9:16 PM »
Front brakes were next. All the info is off the HAMB and shoeboxford.com  We were going to go with a kit from ECI for $450 or just the brackets for $230 but since I'm a tight ass I decided to make them myself. Calipers are off late 70's early '80's GM, rotors are 11" and off late 80's Ford Aerostar, bearings and seals I'm not sure but I have all the part #'s if someone else wants to do this. PM me, would be happy to send them to you. It did take some trial and error for the caliper brackets though but they work really well and clear a stock Ford 15" steel wheel. I did have to turn a 3/8" collar to press on the inside of the spindle to take up some area for the bearing. After the collar was pressed on simply assemble everything as usual. Rotors, calipers, and seals/bearings cost about $200 give or take which I didn't think was too bad. I have patterns of all the mounting brackets if someone needs them. Disregard brake line in the pic. It didn't work but I'll explain this later.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009 9:39 PM »
I don't have many pics of the brake brackets but you get the idea. Only thing was they had to be mounted towards the front of the car instead of the usual rear side. Some people argue the fact and others say it doesn't matter. Some say centrifigal force will lift the wheel or some BS like that. Sounds like a scene from Star Wars or something. Anyway, all the kits I looked at mount them here because of clearance issues on the upper arms. Like I said, if someone wants copies of the patterns let me know. I'd be happy to pass them on.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009 9:44 PM »
Front brakes continued.

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009 10:02 PM »
We didn't have computers and cell phones in 1950 either!  

Nothing wrong with some newer stuff to make the old work and feel better and be safer.

Looking good.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009 2:01 PM »
Great project post Josh!!!  When you say we, I bet your mean Robin. :wink:
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline sko_ford

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009 3:57 PM »
looks good. that bracket looks a lot like the eci one i used which used s10 rotors and calipers
WANTED: Mel Tillis valve covers

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009 4:02 PM »
I want!  Looks good- any kustom tricks in the future?
*Street is Neat*

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009 5:21 PM »
Quote from: "Tom"
Great project post Josh!!!  When you say we, I bet your mean Robin. :wink:

Yup! My partner in chrime.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009 5:26 PM »
Quote from: "pinstriper40"
I want!  Looks good- any kustom tricks in the future?

Right now trying to get all the floor and trunk panels in. As far as custom tricks, I layed out the front and rear bumpers (we're using '56 Dodge bumpers) and noticed that they will have to be narrowed so we are trying to figure out that. After the floors and patch panels are in we're gonna start the chop. Decided on 5" straight across with leaned B pillars. But that's a ways down the road.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009 5:41 PM »
I guess I got carried away with all the pics yesterday so I'll keep it simple. After we decided where the rear should set off the ground we made 4 C notches and welded them in above the centerline of the rearend. Rearend is out of a '57 Ford station wagon and is about 1" wider that stock so no worries there. After notches were in we boxed them and added 2 pieces of round stock to tie it all together. Flat plate for the bag top mount and same material for the bottom mounts and axle saddles. Gussets were added later for strength. Pretty straight forward.

Offline flatheaded

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Another Shoebox
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009 5:54 PM »
Made my own trailing arms and bushings just because I don't want to spend the money. Some DOM tube, threaded rod and polyurethane and your ready to roll. Other brackets are just simple flat and radii are cut on a mill. Here is the bottom bars installed.