March 29, 2024 6:21 AM

Author Topic: Close to done...  (Read 5616 times)

Briggs&Stratton

Close to done...
« on: March 27, 2007 3:42 AM »
Hey guys, I figured id throw a few pics up of my car now that its close to done.  I got it as an unfinished project at the devils lake auction about 4 or 5 years ago, and ive been tinkering on it here and there and now shes getting close.  When I got it the body was painted and the chassis was fairly complete, and I didnt have to touch anything on the body minus build the dash.  The chassis had a few things done that I didnt like so there were some changes there, and over the next few years there will probably be more changed (they never really are done, are they?).

Anyway, quick rundown:  355 chevy, 93 chev pu heads, rv cam, flat tops, holley 670, turbo 350, 12 bolt 4.56 posi.  Oh, btw, the body is a 1925 Overland touring without the back half, the box is custom (I cant take credit for it, a previous owner built it).  Looking at the box you'd think that it would be nice and deep and spacious, but cause of the rear frame kick its only about 6 inches deep.  Front axle/brakes are 50s chev pickup as far as I can tell, but with a 5 bolt pattern?  Doesnt look redrilled.  I'd like to convert the axle setup to ford so it would look cleaner and less bulky, and have the tie rod behind the axle.

The upholstery was done by Billys custom cover-up and im really happy with it. I put in White VDO guages, lighted shift indicator, lokar 23" swan shifter and e-brake handle.  Steering wheel is kinda gaudy and out of place chrome chain, but ive always wanted one for some reason lol.  Plus its got a small diameter with a big 5 1/2 inch dish so it makes some knee room (were people like 5 feet tall in 1925?  I was sitting in it and a friend of mine said it looked like a gerbil stuck in a beer can haha).  Spoon gas pedal, 64 caddy e-brake pedal for a brake pedal.  Front wheels are old slotted mags, 5.60-15 rubber, rears are late model americans with n50-15s. Hairpins in front,  big goofy 63 chevy pickup rear trailing arms.  Radiator is a 5 core built by fargo radiator.

Anyone remember the car in devils lake?  It was kinda a bare rolling shell at the time.  

Btw, im open for any criticism or pointers.  Specifically on the weirder stuff like the front axle, rear trailing arms, brass rad shell, steering wheel,  windshield struts, and carb scoop (im kinda on the fence about them).

Chris

Briggs&Stratton

Close to done...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007 3:44 AM »
one more

Offline Eyeball

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Close to done...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007 3:56 AM »
It's cool.
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline 31Rodder

• Suedes Member
    • View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/rodder1931
Close to done...
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007 4:12 AM »
that interior looks real nice.  You should have lots of fun driving that.
For the things you pointed out you dont like, you can always change them as time goes on.  
The only real easy things to change would be the steering wheel and air cleaner, the rest would take alot of reworking in my opinion.
right now I would just drive it and have fun!

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Close to done...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007 5:01 AM »
Nice ride. If youre on the fence about it, ditch the bug catcher on the carburetor. The rest is what it is. Drive it man! love the interior.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Close to done...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 4:35 PM »
I like it too- I don't know how you feel about a red metalflake steering wheel- moon has little ones i think-  the car looks great though! I too love the interior!
*Street is Neat*

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Close to done...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 8:36 PM »
Ahhhh! Pleated diamond interior... I love it.  Haven't seen diamonds in quite a while.  Right out of the 60's and 70's. I think every Auto Body and Upholstery student in the 60's through 70's did their seats in diamonds.  :)