Tech Q and A > Interior

A little UPH Tech. - TRIM PANELS

(1/4) > >>

JakesBackyard:
Most of you like to do all the work you can when building your cars. So here’s a pic by pic of how I make trim panels for cars.  The basic technique works for making almost any trim panel - doors, qtrs., kick, pkg. tray, trunk, etc.  I even use the clear vinyl for making carpet panels on the floor and seat panels from scratch.

Hang with me...this will take about 8 posts.

JakesBackyard:
Here's the door I'm making a panel for.  I know it is made of a material that many of you dislike. Get over it. The process is the same. It's what I was working on at the time.

I guess this is going to take more than 8 posts as it will only let me put one pic in ea. post. So hang in there.

Thanks

JakesBackyard:
This door has no attachment holes in it yet.  It has a latch handle stem and a suicide latch handle stem. No armrest holes or anything else. Now is the time to drill clip attachment holes and any other holes for mounting armrests, etc. The clip holes should be 4 to 6 inches apart. I am using a 21/64 drill bit to drill the holes. To avoid going too far with the drill, I put a piece of rubber tubing on the bit so only a " or so of the bit sticks out.  I don't want to drill into the outer skin.

JakesBackyard:
Here are the clips I use.  They are all from W&E fasteners which can be purchased from Fargo Bumper or Dakota Bumper in Fargo. The middle two are the most common.

# 1212 -  flat spring steel - 19/64 hole - when using thin panel board or metal panels.

#1213 - old Ford/Chrys. Clip - 21/64 hole - most used.

#2560 - Ford/Chrys. Clip - 21/64 hole - for thick base material or if there is a raised area around the edge of the door so the clip needs a longer reach. This is the clip used on this door.

#2105 - xmas tree plastic clip - 17/64 hole - the best one I have found to turn into the panel and not have too deep of a clip. Works good into wood base.

JakesBackyard:
So now all the clip holes are drilled and ready for making the panel pattern. I use 4 mil clear vinyl.  You can get it at MAC's or many craft stores. The sticky back Collision Wrap from 3M works good too, but is way too spendy. Spray a light strip of adhesive around the edge of the door and a couple strips out in the middle. I use 3M #77. Just so it's a light duty adhesive. Not the good stuff. You want to get the vinyl off easily. Now cut off enough of the clear vinyl to cover the door with a little excess all around.  Smooth it out onto the door, lifting up and resmoothing to get out any wrinkles. I cut a small slit to slip over the handle stems. Don't cut out a hole. It's hard to see the vinyl in the pic, but it's there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version