General > Project Reports

Racer J's 28 roadster

(1/36) > >>

racerjohnson:
Step 1

Eyeball:
"what year were those, eyeball"

The axle and bones should be 46 or 47. The 48 axle looks a little different.

Make sure you order dropped steering arms too. Assemble the front end and then you will know how much drop you will need to get the draglink under the bones. I think the tie rod holes are tappered from both sides so you can mount the drag link on top or under the arms if you need more clearance.

Eyeball:
If I recall it was parked with the Salt Lake boys (Throttlers CC).

racerjohnson:
Notice how the tudor cowl and door is approximately 1 inch taller from the beltline to the bottom of the body than the roadster is. It's more apparent when you see how the subframes match up. It would also be more apparent if half of my door wasn't rusted away!! You may be asking yourself how I line up everything and make sure my twisted body is square when I'm missing so much sheetmetal. That's a good question. Hell if I know. It's pretty close.

I braced the heck out of the body, welding everything together, then cut the inner halves of the subframe away for the frame to go. I also straightened that driver's side frame rail in front. Twice. After cutting notches and welding them, it shrunk a little more than I predicted so it was bowed the opposite way. Damn. Cut a couple more lines with the cutoff wheel and the second time worked out better.

racerjohnson:
I also finally worked up the balls to try to install my repair sleeves on my axle tubes. I HATE fitting interference fit parts together with heat. I always get the piston pin in 3/4 of the way on at least one piston on press fit rods. These sleeves are .002 interference fit, but the damn sleeves were a bit out of round. Heated the first one nicely, and it dropped right on. SWEET!! Heated the second one up nicely, dropped half way on. Shit. Wood block and BFH solved it. I'll have an assembled rearend in no time now. Does anybody have a HUGE impact gun? the pinion nut on my open drive center section doesn't want to come off. Thats all for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version