Author Topic: Iraq  (Read 30886 times)

Offline Tom

• Traditionalist...or...I post to much.
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009 2:13 PM »
Quote from: "racerjohnson"
[
I got your package. Thanks for the magazines!!! Those Goodguys mags are awesome, I've never seen them before. Good pictures! Was there anything that didn't make it into the mail due to a customs declaration form? I see the wink. quote]

No,  everything I sent went. It just cough me off guard. I get nervous when I have to fill out fed government forms.  :lol:

I'll send you another batch after the holidays.
"A rat rod is a hot rod with poor workmanship". Roger S.

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009 2:56 PM »
Pete - nice digs....do they call that "modern plywood"?  :)

Tom - you must have looked suspicious....I didn't have to fill out anything!  :?

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009 3:32 PM »
Quote from: "JakesBackyard"
Tom - you must have looked suspicious....I didn't have to fill out anything!  :?

Did you go to a real Post Office or a pretend one? :)

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009 6:59 PM »
Quote from: "Tom"
Quote from: "JakesBackyard"

Did you go to a real Post Office or a pretend one? :)

Hahaha....you never know here....but he got it.  :)

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009 10:13 PM »
Quote from: "pinstriper40"
Is this what the palm trees look like in Iraq?

It says on the prescription bottle "use as directed"

Still looking for that doctor.
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009 7:38 PM »
Got all my stuff packed in the storage container that will be loaded on a ship and hopefully not captured by pirates on its way home. A duffle bag and a ruck sack worth of stuff left. Will probably send my good magazines and stuff in the mail with some of my other valuables.

Leaving middle of Jan, be home by the last weekend in Jan, won't see me for a week or so :) I'll be trapped and hopefully chained down somewhere. It'll be great.

This is where the deployments get slow. "short timers syndrome," they call it. Complacency, smart mouths start to appear more and more. Most of the work is done, waiting for replacements to get here so we can train them in and bolt outta here.

Time is going slow for the first time of the deployment. Obviously I've been researching my projects I want to work on ASAP when I get home, and some that I won't touch for years. I'm losing my fucking mind. Been irritable as hell. I'm close to being home, I'm researching/planning car stuff and getting super impatient, and I haven't had #@% in 7 months. Forearms are ripped though.  30 days, Gentlemen, 30 days. . .
The problem with having an artistic eye is that you always end up making more work for yourself. -Cleatus on the HAMB

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009 9:42 PM »
:)

Offline eberhama

• Street Rodder
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009 2:02 AM »
It'll be good to have you back. I got a few chevelle leftovers for you. I also might have a line on one of those el-tee-ones, if thats still the plan.

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2010 7:23 PM »
Quote from: "pinstriper40"
Is this what the palm trees look like in Iraq?

It says on the prescription bottle "use as directed"

Still looking for that doctor.

HAHAHA!  Take 2 healthy doses a day... Double your dose if you're going to be on a long flight. -Dr. Davis
*Street is Neat*

Offline pinstriper40

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2010 7:27 PM »
I haven't had #@% in 7 months. Forearms are ripped though.

Both of them? That's odd.
*Street is Neat*

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Cranes in the Cradle (of civilization)
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010 8:31 PM »
short story:

The drag race of epic tonnage.

So my project this week has been tearing down all the protective Twalls around a large helicopter parking compound since they moved to a new one. The old compound is located at the end of a taxiway off the main runway about a half mile from the terminal at Basrah Int'l Airport. The point is we needed a lot of cranes and we were working on a runway. Among the cranes were two similar 50 ton units, one from each of the Iraqi contractors on post. These contracting companies are always talking smack about each other, so given the setting, I figured we'd settle this the American way: Drag race the 50 tons on the Taxiway.

Drag racing is a simple idea to you and I, but teaching Iraqi crane operators turned out to be too much. Yesterday, we got one lined up ready to go, but the other guy was both crazy and mad that we had apparently kept him out on the job too close to quitting time, and he took off like a bat out of hell without lining up first. He was moving though. Bastard.
     "Tomorrow," he said with a crazy look.
Fine.

Today, we go to pick up the crane, and the damn crypt keeper from "Tales from the Crypt" is sitting in the drivers seat. This new guy belonged hanging in a high school science classroom on one of those stainless steel hooks. He could poke his tongue through his front teeth and I was afraid he was going to die on us. He refused to race as he was worried he'd get fired if he broke the clutch. I even tried to convince him to simply drive next to the other crane so I could make a sweet video. Nothing doing. The dumb shit then attempted to drive away from the job site with the parking brake on and smoked the clutch anyways. Retard.

Sorry fellas. I'm done working for the deployment so no more chances. It would have been hilarious.

Offline Eyeball

• View Profile
RE: Cranes in the Cradle (of civilization)
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010 10:04 PM »
That would have been GREAT!
soaken wet shoes and winkled fingers...
hours and hours
inch at a time...

henryj1951 HAMB

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2010 12:05 AM »
I found a new method of fixing old bondo patch jobs. If the bondo falls off, like on this orange crane, you can just tape it back on. Its still orange, right?

For all you cigar afficionados, Iraq does not have sanctions against Cuba, so we can buy them on post. Nice, eh? Dominican labels fit on the cubans which would theoretically allow them to be transported home, but that'd be illegal. PM me. As far as the picture, Dr. Freud suggested I buy the biggest, longest one. It was pretty good. Called a Cohiba from Havana. Damn thing had tobacco in it though.

Do you think these headlights would look good on a Kustom of some sort? If my crane guys have more, I can probably buy them for 20 bucks a pair.

And finally, I prefer the Chevrolet Trailblazer to the Ford Explorer partially because they ride better and are less of a POS, but mostly because my rifle fits in the door pocket. This only works with the carbine.
Having to carry a rifle all day, everyday, everywhere I go, entering/exiting a vehicle over and over with a rifle, the door pocket makes it much easier otherwise you have to store the rifle between you and the center console, barrel to the floor and hold it. Rips the crap out of the interior. All of our vehicles have dents on the back doors from rifles swinging into them while entering the vehicle. Just a tidbit.

Offline JakesBackyard

• Hot Rodder
    • View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2010 12:44 AM »
True Iraqi body work, huh......

I could really go for a real rum soaked (Dominican) cigar!.....

Headlights might look good in a 50s/60s custom.....

The thought of that rifle going off at my feet would give me the creeps.....maybe even just riding around with guns all the time......

Offline racerjohnson

• View Profile
Iraq
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010 11:54 AM »
Landed on US soil on sunday night. Yay!

I'm in Fort Lewis, WA for the week processing out of active duty back to a weekend warrior. I can finally text and call people anytime and even post this post via my blackberry. God bless America!

When I get home I'll be able to reload everyones phone numbers that I lost in the blackberry/portajohn incident. I'll see you all soon with Lonestar beer  in my hand.